Precision Gutters Blog
Gutter Installation, Repair and Cleaning Vancouver
Come back early and often to read our blog and learn about how to care for your gutters.
Safety Tips for Hanging Christmas Lights on Your GuttersNovember 28th, 2018 | by Mark Tulloch | in | 0
Christmas is right around the corner! With the weather getting colder, and the holiday season creeping up on us – homeowners are starting to look forwards to decorating their homes with outdoor lights. In some communities, the whole neighborhood comes together to decorate homes extravagantly for all to see.
Many homeowners hang Christmas lights from their gutter systems – but it is important to follow these safety tips to ensure the lights are hung properly to avoid damage to the gutter, or issues while hanging the lights.
- First, be sure to clean out your gutters. Proper gutter maintenance is important to be sure that there is not added strain on the system. Before the weather starts to freeze, clean all debris out of your gutters.
- Choose the right lights. Be sure to buy outdoor, waterproof lights. Consider what colour and shape you want your lights to be – match them to the rest of your decorations for a clean look!
- Light clips. Use light clips to hang your Christmas lights safely. These clips are placed along the edge of your gutters, making the process of installing and removing easy and safe.
- Test the lights. Before you put the lights up, make sure that they are working properly. This gives you the opportunity to replace any bulbs or strands that are not working before hanging them.
- Safety first – be sure that you are using a properly set up, heavy duty ladder. Ideally you should have a partner with you to spot you while climbing and to hold the ladder for you – especially if the weather is cold or wet!
Decorating your home for the Christmas season can be fun! But, be sure to follow proper safety steps to make sure the process is as safe and simple as possible. Then, once your lights are up – enjoy the Christmas season!